Friday, January 23

Tis raining Frauds ..



Most of yesterday was spent trying to reach the marketing office of a fairly "reputed" builder with who we had booked a flat almost a year back .. till date the only sign of progress in the project is that they have heaped up bricks near the site .. So we decided to pull out a month back and have been trying to get in touch with the booking office, but in vain .. the lady who sold us the apartment plays stupid tricks like not picking calls when we call from our mobiles, but miraculously picks up when hubby called from landline ..Gosh , what frauds!!..
nyways, since we have the necessary papers in place , taking them to task should not be difficult ..

I was reminded of a fraud i narrowly missed getting associated with in my professional life .."The case of Idea Group" ..I was in abu Dhabi working with a consumer durables company and was in their corporate sales division selling office equipment. This was my first job and i had no experience in dealing with frauds !! The said "idea group"(on hindsight .. the name is so ironic !! sadistic humour of the fraudsters, i say !!)neatly conned a lot of people into a lot of money.. One fine day , on my regular cold calling beat , i discovered this new office.. surprisngly , the receptionist let me also see the procurement manager, a lebanese, in my first call .. i was elated and zapped .. In my 4 month experience in the industry , nobody had let me see the procurement mgr in the first call .. but then in my elation, i didnt give too much importance to the weirdness of the situation..

To my huge surprise , the company was supposedly opening a retail outleat and they wanted quotes from me for several machines..and if it did come thru , it would have been the biggest ever deal for not only me , but my entire division.. i was thrilled beyond belief ..I followed this up by bringing my boss , his boss and several other bosses , just to make sure that the commercial terms were appropriate.. none of them actually found any problem with the company .. the only hitch was that they needed credit and we didnt give credit to companies without a credit record.. but it was a routine issue which could be circumvented with necessary approvals.. the company i worked for wasnt very professional ... they were more concerned abt competition bagging the project rather than making safe decisions..

My location head decided to go ahead with 20% advance and rest after 30 days and i went up to give the revised quote ..the procurement mgr seemed a lil flustered and she almost shooed me out .. there also seemed to be unusually high activity that day .. while i was stepping out , an indian who worked at an office bang opposite to Idea group called me aside. This was the first time i had ever seen him.. He told me that he had seen me come here couple of times and asked me to go easy on the company as there were many suspicious things happening on the premises . He also told me that many russian and lebanese women kept visiting the place at weird hours..And he told me all this because he didnt want a fellow indian to get into their web !!.. that's what he told me ..;-)

I promptly reported back to my bosses on what the guy told me.. strangely it felt like an oracle !! . my boss was a little vehement about not going slow , but then said ok when the big bosses veteoed their disapproval ..the procurement lady kept calling me and i kept dilly dallying abt availability of machines and similar stupid reasons .. ..An invitation for opening of the showroom appreared a week later and we were a lil dejected thar we weren't going to be part of the success of "idea group"..after a while the calls stopped and all of us got on with out lives

.. until one day.. when i got to office .. everyone is talking about "the idea group" and how they ran away with machines worth millions of dirhams ...the showroom had never opened ... i thanked my oracle - that indian guy for saving me from the clutches of "idea group" .. WOW!! narrow escape .. later my boss went on a self congragulatory mode saying that he knew there was something wrong with that company and thats why he didnt go ahead.. the jerk !!!..

nyways ..later i did get to know that this company had defrauded several times in the past and eventually the machines ended up in places like Sudan where people didnt give a fiddlers beep whether the machines were stolen..The emirates is a very dicey place, i learned.. huge scamsters prowled the markets trying to bait unsuspecting trainees like me..later when i got into banking , i realised everywhere its the same story .. makes me wonder abt the very nature of human beings and gets me a little disillusioned... dishonesty and one-upping behaviour rules the roost.. lives have become so complicated, greed rules the roost and simple things in life dont matter much to us..Things that people do in the name of money(and power!!).. all this shakes my idealism a little bit ..but deep down i feel that everything will get better soon ..Human beings will redeem themselves someway ..

23 comments:

myheadtrip said...

Scams galore eh? That was a close call in the Emirates! Good that you did not fall into that "web" of the Idea group!!

Angel's Flight said...

Thank gor for the oracle huh!

Tell me something....how painful is cold calling???? I ask for professional reasons

Shayari said...

Thank Heavens! and the Indian bandha there..you were out of it :)

Ya, it's ironical to see companies being named like that... Satyam too turned out to be an inflated lie after all;)Simply cool tracks on your juke box there gal:)

Bedazzled said...

apar .. umm.. definately close call.. i cud have lost my job if things had gone otherwise.. ;-)

Angel .. Very painful .. the reason i moved away from sales later .. and thanx indeed to that guy ..

shayari ..more than heavens i shud thank that guy.. wish i had gone back and got him a dinner or something .. hee hee..didnt actly see satyam one coming.. but i kind of knew that satyam was not a very professional company.. it even picked up the most crooked and agressive people from campus .. i looove the juke box too ..

vimmuuu said...

This happened in Abu Dhabi of all the places??? Glad you came out of it. You could have lost your job and visa too.

Nicely written towards the end. periya periya vaarthayellaam use panren??? onniyyume puriyale :D

oorjas said...

maybe the frauds are loosing the touch & getting caught more often now.. coz fraud is a very old cult..

eye-in-sty-in said...

You said it! Greed rules the roost! The result of greed is being seen and felt in the American economy right now and it brought down big banking names that were once considered "as safe as gold"!!

I doubt that corporates will ever learn from their mistakes!

Happy that you were saved from being conned.

Smita said...

Lucky you. ANd ur boss is a typical boss :D

I hope the issue of your present home also gets resolved quickly...

Seriously I dunno where we are going. When I think of the largess of Raju's fraud I get goosebumps. To what level can a man go....is greed the end all & be all?

Nautankey said...

Fraudsters!!..narrow escape there patti.Else dubai to chennai gaja's thoni-la thaan vandhu irukkanum. The post was konjam hi-fi as vimu said,over peteringsa irukku pa. All the best with he house thing...and the lady picking up the calls was it due to land line or due to ur hubby calling...buhahaha

Now how abt old women who pose as younger ones :P

avdi said...

Theek, a narrow escape there. If you had supplied stuff to the company, your boss would be singing a different tune.

Sam said...

hey somethin for u on my blog, come check it :)

Dewdrop said...

Its really raining scams in India particularly... what with Satyam, PWC, Enron and how can I forget the evergreen politicians!

Bedazzled said...

vimu .. yeah .. sadly i have seen a lot of murky stuff happen there to collegues and friends .. was so glad i came back ..dey dey adangu da !!! ;-)


OOrjas..hee hee well said .. maybe its the second oldest profession...

eye-in ..umm ..sadly i think nothing much will happen .. every few year there is a scandal , people get all santimonious and things get tightened for a while .. and then finally things always revert back to where it all started for yet another fraud to happen..

Bedazzled said...

smita.. hey thanks.. i am hoping things get sorted soon too ..I guess nice-boss is getting to be an oxymoron these days .. bosses are morons also ;-) ...i think there is a scandal lurking everywhere .. just that the tip of teh iceberg has been exposed .. a lot of companies have very unprofessional practices .. just that their chairmans dont confess nor do they get caught out by associates .. but yeah sadly greed rules ..

Bedazzled said...

vinod .. u have the soul of a meanie(thats a new animal !!) .. hee hee .. kidding !!.. i did come back in kalla dhoni cos i shopped with all my savings and didnt have money to buy me a ticket back home .. adangu da !!! .. what hi-fi .. u and vimu have started gangig up on me from my last post !!! i FORBID u from joining hands with that evil thing !!

Bedazzled said...

avdi .. yeah !!! and thats what irks me the most ..

sam.. yipee !!!! thanx, man .. this is soooo cool !!

dewdrop..thanx for dropping by ..enron definately was mother of all scandals.. corporates just pay lip service to corporate responsibility .. nobody takes it seriously .. dont even get me started on our politicians ..all frauds !!

praddy said...

i had a feeling i already commented on this post...did u delete it by any chance?? y u fraud :P:P

Renu said...

I have seen so many frauds, that now I am cautious to the extent of being cynical.specially in the cases of property.

Bhargavi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bedazzled said...

prads.. dont think so .. u fraud!!! now comment ..

Renu .. after a while all the frauds kinda do make us cynical.. becomes difficult to trust people .. i am definately getting there ..

wtml said...

Gosh! That was close, man! I have a thing for scandals, I realized as I read your post.. Shall tell you all some day, maybe when I am well fed on some evil pani puri !! :-D

verbivorehere said...

:(( i remember commenting to ths..donno whr it disappeared :(

Bedazzled said...

wtml .. sure we wud like to hear abt it ..

verbivore.. u too ?? hee hee.. dont know where u r p;ost went .. me is not responsible !!