Thursday, March 18

My love affair with Guacamole



I was never too interested in cooking until i quit work.However,even when i was working,i used to catch myself visiting one particular food blog.It was a blog by a woman named Sue.The blog always had pics of yum delectable cakes and treats..And,that was my first brush with blogging.Everyday,the first thing i would do at work even before i checked my official mails was log on to Sue's page and check out her latest culinary escapades..Things are so different now.. I love cooking and even though i am not an expert at traditional south Indian food(or any other type either!),i love trying out new recipes.There is something therapeutic and exciting about whipping up something new.

Last one month has been magical for my taste buds.. So many wonderful fruits,vegetables and food discovered..I realize why people call some food "Soul food".. Some food just puts you in a nice cosy-contented mood..So,when i discovered Guacamole a few weeks back,i have been making it/asking for it in whatever i eat outside..

I don't normally post recipes here,but today i am making an exception as my foodblog is almost defunct currently..I am sure the sole male reader of this blog will excuse me..

So,Guacamole is a yummy,creamy dip made with Avocados.It goes very well with tortillas and chips. Extremely easy and yum,it's increased my chip consumption almost 20 fold !!..I have been subjecting the boy to it so much that when we were picking groceries last evening,he asked me to lay off the Avocado this time ..Well,looks like no guacamole for me for couple of more days..bawllll!!

Avocado is actually botanically a fruit,but is used as a vegetable and is a native of Mexico.Wonder,why we don't get it in Chennai.. the climate is almost comparable here !!

All you need for the dip is..

1 avocado, very ripe
2 tbs. fresh onion, minced.(i prefer nicely chopped onion,not minced)
1 small tomato, minced
The juice of half a lemon
1 tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, minced

Simply mash up everything with a small mortar(the way it is traditionally done ) or a fork to bring it to a smooth,creamy consistency..Spritz the juice of a lemon and add the salt.You are ready to dig in.Goes wonderfully with both red and white wines.I have seen some people snip a few pieces of bacon into it as well..For veggies like me,the simple recipe works well..The first time we tasted the dip,we swooned.Also,surprisingly it tastes like Bhelpuri !!..Just a creamier version of our Bhelpuri !! yummmm!!

I wonder if there is some vegetable that can be used to replace the avocado.. Do let me know,if there is !! I am going to miss it when i get back home !!

10 comments:

Angel's Flight said...

I love Guac!!! though I have never made it at home...get here and we can go eat at this one place near my work that makes fresh guac at your table!! that this is yummmm!

vimmuuu said...

oyyy, am i the sole male reader here ???? seriously ???? :D :D :D :D

Never heard of this before?? do we get to buy this anywhere in chennai ? murugan idly shop or somewhere ??? :D

Bedazzled said...

shalini.. nice !! will see u soon !

Vimmu.. murugan idly shop .. yuuummm !! i should have said sole male reader who comments.:-)

Dhanya said...

Looks interesting! I know next to nothing abt cooking... but when I do start, will try this one out ;)

Spencer L Casey said...

Lots of boys here, actually.

There was a really cheesy Mexican restaurant in town that replaced avocados in their guac. It was several years ago when the prices of avocados went through the roof, even for California. He used broccoli and called it broccomoli.

I don't recommend it. :)

SLC

Bedazzled said...

Dhanya..circumstances will soon force you to become a good cook unless u r hubby decides to cook himself ;-)

Spencer..:-).broccoli for Avocado ?? taste-wise wouldn't work for me !!!i love broccoli too .. just that i get broccoli back home and u normally feel more strongly abt things u cant get.. broccomoli sounds so yuck !!

Spencer L Casey said...

Yeah, total yuck. It didn't go over very well. I'd rather go without my guac that eat mashed up broccoli. :)

Cheers

Violet said...

oohhh yum, like bhelpuri you say?

I will definitely try this out.

Vaishnavi said...

I looooovvvveee to cook! Made Tiramisu for my brother's birthday this week. It was such a shock and delight to realize that I could actually cook :) One question : where do you get avocados??

Been so busy with switching jobs...it's good to get back to the blogging world :)

Bedazzled said...

Vaishnavi.. wow!Tiramisu !that's the big league..i haven't tried it out yet! where r u based ?I dont know if u get avocados in India. I haven't exactly looked for it yet,as i didn't really know how good it tasted.. but now that i do,i'll make sure that i'll look for it !