Thursday, May 27
Chicken soup .. anyone?
From a mailer that i received.. Thought some of you might be interested..
Inviting stories for Chicken Soup for the Indian Friend’s Soul
Please send your stories to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last dates for accepting submissions: August 30th 2010. But do try and send your stories ASAP for I will close as soon as I have selected my 101 stories for the same.
The write-ups will carry the contributor’s name. Westland pays Rs 1000 per story and two copies of the book. We carry a 3-4 line profile on all contributing authors. We accept blogged and published work too provided the authors get the reprint permissions. The copyright of the stories stay with the author.
Recipe for a winning “Chicken Soup for the Indian Friend’s Soul” story:
A Chicken Soup for the Soul® story is an inspirational, true story about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. They are personal and often filled with emotion and drama.
Chicken Soup stories have a beginning, middle and an ending that often closes with a punch, creating emotion rather than simply talking about it. A story that causes tears, laughter, goosebumps or any combination of these. A good story covers the range of human emotions. The most powerful stories are about people extending themselves, or performing an act of love, service or courage for another person.
1. Tell an exciting, sad or funny story about something that has happened to you or someone you know. Make sure that you introduce the character(s).
2. Tell your story in a way that will make the reader cry, laugh or get goose bumps (the good kind!) Don’t leave anything out — how did you feel?
3. The story should start with action; it should include a problem, issue or situation. It should include dialogue and the character should express their feelings though the conflict or situation. It should end in a result, such as a lesson learned, a positive change or pay-off.
4. Above all, let it come from your HEART! Your story is important!
. Stories should be non-fiction, ranging in length between 300-1200 words.
· Chaddi Buddy – That first friend
· Through Thick and Thin – The one who has cheered your up's and shared your down's
· An Angel in Need – The one who enters your life for a very specific purpose
· Soulmates – The one who starts out by being a friend and ends up being a spouse
· Unusually Yours – Unique and unusual friendships
· Lost and Found – Friends who enter your lives again after ages