Sunday, August 22

Maslow's one smart boy..

I was reading a nice interview by Gurucharan Das on a book he is working with Penguin about entrepreneurs in Ancient India ...Was fascinated by an observation that he had made(apparently it is a common saying ,but i am quoting him here) ...

He says "First generation makes the money.Second generation wants prestige and power and it is the third generation that wants art,culture,status and aspires for respect."

So true,no?.Maybe,this is not just true with businessmen.I guess the preoccupation with culture and art is more when people have made their money,wined-dined to their hearts content,bought themselves more presents than they can tolerably stomach and are left twiddling their thumbs on what else to do in life..Somehow Maslow theory seems to make sense in this context too... I am sure there are exceptions to every rule (otherwise the randomness of universe will never be revered),but on an average this should work.



8 comments:

Ramanathan Kannan said...

ya, i agree 100 %

WhatsInAName said...

So so so true! Infact just the other day, I was trying to convince a friend to take up script writing for movies seriously since he is a movie buff and is a wonderful writer. but he told me that had he inherited loads, he would have surely gone for it. But for now, he has to feed his family! :(
And I chose IT over Bharatanatyam only for money :( I just hope my grandkids can take up art more seriously :)

Casey Freeland said...

I don't think that rule works. Interesting thought thought.

In business I've been taught that father builds, son builds more, grandson nearly destroys and then it's around forever and owned by shareholders.

Cheers,

Casey

Bedazzled said...

Ramanathan..glad u agree

WIAN..You are a bharatanatyam dancer ? Wow!!! ..Do you still dance ?

Casey..what you are saying also makes sense...too many examples and permutations of behavior,i guess

Veens said...

I am very sure our son will WILL his way and make way for the creative juices that my husband and I have ignored :) :)

Bedazzled said...

ha ha !! veens.. i am sure he will ;-) .. how is he?

nishitak said...

Very true! Maslow is definitely very observant :)

Bedazzled said...

nishita..thanx for dropping by.