Wednesday, January 12

Of gaming...



Picture this- Aching joints ,croaking in misery and squealing for respite; sweat pouring from every single pore mingled with cries of misery...Sounds like some Zandu balm ad,right?.Oh,well..Life has such unfair ways of letting us know that age is catching up . I am not talking about running a full marathon or a couple of hours at the gym,but about a fifteen minute warm-up stint on my cousin's X-box Kinect.

I'm not a great fan of video games and every time my brother or friends raved about Prince of Persia and Need For Speed, I wrinkled my brows. My only allegiances were towards Mario (remember the game that had a cute guy jumping over bricks?) and strangely ,Tetris.So you can see that i am not exactly the high-octane adrenaline junkie that I sometimes profess to be.

I have played games on the Sony PS and Nitendo brigade before and must say that I loved the Kinect gaming experience.I find the concept of the human body acting as the sensor really intriguing-no crazy buttons to push or intricate maneuvering of the controls. Kinect takes gaming to the next level with their controller-free gaming environment.Imagine running a hurdle or throwing a Javelin inside the four walls of your home !Fascinating,no?.

I can see how addictive gaming can get,with kids these days preferring to play indoors on their video games rather than heading outside. I find parks and playgrounds fairly deserted ,when they should be brimming with children. All this exhilaration one can get out of a video game is fine,but is it making this generation of kids shun other forms of physical exercise?. And don't even get me started on the mindless violence some of these games involve.Even if it is just role-play ,trigger-happy kids don't spell balanced childhoods.

I shouldn't be complaining,because i found the 15 minute session invigorating and for someone who doesn't fancy hitting the gym much,this is an excellent way to lose calories.But somehow when I see my little cousins glued on to their Play stations,barely grunting in response to their parent's pleas for getting out more,I do wonder if there are more banes to this one than what meets the eye.



11 comments:

Madhu said...

Neither am I in to gaming but my husband is. I would rather be happy with a book :)

A said...

I hate video games. But games that involve some physical movement is better than others.

Bikramjit said...

wow .. the next thing my eyes is on one of those , I have jsut baught myself a PS3 a week back and any free time is going in Call of duty :)
I love gaming and have almsot all the gadgets ps2,wii- now ps3 and a dsi next one is this Kinect on xbox.. :) finished prince of persia

its funnnnn

Bikram's

Geeta said...

For us, its the weather that decides if we seek video games/TV or outdoors. For rainy/cold days its the video games, for better weather days, we(kids included) can't wait to get on our bikes and hit the outdoors.

Bedazzled said...

Madhu ... ah!I think i'll chose a book anyday over the gaming console.Whats with men and video games,anyway? :-)

A..Surprising !Ok i will have to modify my question now- whats with most men and video games ?.

Bikram..I liked the wii experience too.. haven't played on a PS3 though.I cant get myself to rave about prince of Persia,even though i can see that a lot of people are crazy about it.

Geeta..Nice!I havent biked in ages.. reminds me to get out more :-)

Hema said...

I do agree.. i am from chennai too.. we live on the ECR, which is not in the metro limits. So, we barely have parks and cant let my 3yr old play on the terrace coz we are in a rented place.. he too is glued to the cartoon channel or youtube and that worries me a lot.. a quick question since you are from Chennai too.. do you buy all the books or are there any good lending library??

Bedazzled said...

I thought ECR had a lot of open spaces. I live in Chennai too,Hema. Though i wish i could buy all the books I read,I don't. I am a member at a few libraries.There's British council on Annasalai. Closer to your area,there is a huge library coming up in Kotturpuram and then there is Easwari lending library in Adayar..I could go on and on - mail me on Writetobedazzled@gmail.com if you need more details.

Veens said...

Violence - that yucks me out! Seriously. I would smack Aarya's head if he won't hear me call him! :D

There has to be a limit. An hour of Video game, and an hour outside. something like that.

Bedazzled said...

Veens..:-).Maybe the next generation will find something else to amuse themselves with.

Vaishnavi said...

Ah. Video games. My playstation has been confiscated after my hand got stuck in this crazy position. I miss it. Still my favourite memories are those with equal pleasures of Super Mario as well as gully cricket. They just don't do that anymore do they?

Bedazzled said...

Vaishnavi.. :-)ha ha ha! oh .. i love super mario. Not sure if i have teh same enthusiasm for gully cricket though. I doubt.I dont see kids playing outside anymore.Maybe its the area i am living in !