Saturday, March 12

Kamadhenu in the city







Kamadhenu in the city. Acrylic on paper.

Sometimes when you go looking for something,you end up getting something else. A scavenger hunt at the local waste paper Shop lead me to this magazine. I was not exactly looking for images of Indian Gods,but the shop had only a tonne of religious mags.Somehow,the image spoke to me and wanted me to take it home..



I wanted to use the picture of Kamadhenu in a collage,but didnt have the heart to cut it out,so opted to paint it instead,but with a little twist.Art has made me realise something about myself-that I always make the most torturous, circuitous interpretations of things , that I can never get myself to paint something realistic and that I am a fantasy-addict more than anything.The painting originally was supposed to have Times square as the background,but ended up as some mish-mash city. A few things like the JVC and Coke bottle adverts are all from Times Square.The rest has a more Chennai-feel to it. The yellow things in the background are autos(Chennai's own solution for torture). The size is larger than I normally prefer,but I am consciously trying to scale up images on bigger sized canvases.

A little about Kamadhenu(lifted right out of Wiki ;))
"Kamadhenu (Sanskrit: कामधेनु [kaːməˈd̪ʱeːnʊ] Kāmadhenu), also known as Surabhi (सुरभि Surabhī), is a divine bovine-goddess described in Hindu mythology as the mother of all cows. She is a miraculous "cow of plenty" who provide her owner whatever he desires and is often portrayed as the mother of other cattle. In iconography, she is generally depicted as a white cow with a female head and breasts or as a white cow containing various deities within her body. All cows are venerated in Hinduism as the earthly embodiment of the Kamadhenu. As such, Kamadhenu is not worshipped independently as a goddess, and temples are not dedicated to her honor alone; rather, she is honored by the veneration of cows in general throughout the observant Hindu population"

Have a super weekend..



8 comments:

Sound Horn Please said...

I am very very impressed! Didn't know you could paint! This is truly impressionable. I wish I could just steal the painting as it combines both NYC and chennai- 2 cities I love. Absolutely LOVE it! Have i missed other painting posts? I'm off to go have a look...

Geeta said...

Novel idea!!! Kamadhenu and NY ...impressive.

LindyLouMac said...

Very artistic.

Bhargavi said...

SHP.. ha ha..I've been paiting since i was a kid.. I wish i could say the same about NYC.. I think i told u i hated it ;-)

Geeta and Lindy ..Thanks

Bikramjit said...

very impressive .. excellent work


Bikram's

A said...

Excellent work multi-talented Bedazzled.

Suko said...

I love your cow art work!

Did you know I have a second blog, about cows: http://lavacheinteressante.blogspot.com/?

Bhargavi said...

Bikram,A..thanks
Suko .. really??!! A blog dedicated to cows??!! OMG!!