Friday, April 29

Lighthouse blues - Acrylic with Palette knife




12X16 Acrylic on canvas board.Abstract done with Palette knife. Click on the picture for a closer look.

Acrylic is great for Impasto technique. For someone who is allergic to turpentine and can't use oil paints,Acrylic is such a boon.No stink and enormously forgiving.Wonder what the great masters would have created if someone had discovered Acrylics before the 20th century.The chunkiness in texture leaves you with a kind of joy that can't really be explained. Only problem I had was getting detail work done with the knife. Especially the lighthouse and the clouds were a challenge. But then, I am learning and there's nothing practice can't sort out.

10 comments:

Suko said...

This is as dramatic and beautiful as a van Gogh!

Jyoti said...

Awesome! With a palette knife! How creative! Could you share some tips of drawing and painting or refer any book or site..I am really hooked!!!

Bikramjit said...

Beautiful and what a scenerey , I would not mind going ot a place like that on a sunny day and sitting and enjoying the nature ...

Bikram's

Bhargavi said...

Suko..Thanks..Long way to go,but i kinda liked this one too..

Jyoti.. Hey ,you could go to youtube and check out free painting lessons posted there.For watercolours ,see videos of Anita Janson.Rest I cant recall now,but it's all in there.

Bikram.. I'm sure London has quite a few scenic places you can "escape" to.

Matangi Mawley said...

That's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Asha said...

The detailing on the rocks are too realistic. I loved this scenery. Did you draw on the spot or did you capture from a picture?

Bhargavi said...

Matangi..Thanks.

Asha..I used a reference photo for the detailing on the rocks and the waves.Thanks for the lovely words.

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Very atmospheric :)

Spyder said...

Fabulous pictures! I love to paint, haven't done any in ages! Glad I found your link
((Lyn))

Bhargavi said...

Lindy ,Spyder..Thanks.