Tuesday, May 10

Day 13- Belated mother's day tribute



Acrylic on canvas 8X 10. Something I did a long time ago when i started painting ,it somehow seems appropriate to club under the Indian summer series.I don't like the execution(especially the use of pen and the proportion of limbs of the mother) ,but this painting brings up pleasant memories of my childhood and that's why it didn't get recycled into something else. A feature of my summer hols was the "oiling of hair" ritual by my mother or grandma. It is supposed to be one of the best ways to beat the heat.

7 comments:

Asha said...

as a lay person i don't know about the technicalities that you've mentioned( proportion and all) but the message is across.

There is warmth oozing out of the pic. 'Oil massage with nallenai' is a sunday chore in my house. In winter it is with warm oil.

All days are mother's day so not belated.

Jyoti said...

This pic captures the essence love.. How I miss the hair massage by my Mom!

Bikramjit said...

:) happy mothers day to you :)

oiling of hair i rmemeber those days SUndays before the head bath :)

good old days

Bikram's

Suko said...

Grooming routines and rituals are a part of nurturing. Quietly vibrant, this timely art piece captures the relationship between a mother and daughter in a unique way.

Bhargavi said...

Asha..You took me back a few decades with your description

Jyoti.. me too!!!

Bikram.. strangely, this ritual is fairly common to a lot of Indians.

Suko..beautifully put.Thanks.

cooltwins said...

that is a really cute work!!!
loved it!!!

let go of all those proportions and stuff... its sema!!!

i'm starting to like this blog a lot :)

Bhargavi said...

Cooltwins..Thanks..Letting go is the most difficult part in anything ,i guess.. Hope to see you here more..