Friday, November 4

FREE,FREE,FREE...

There are just things one doesn't tell /show their parents, even if one is on the verge of becoming a model for some hair dye company , or worse still for a dental clinic that is advertising their leak-proof dentures.I have some more time until the dentures become a necessity, though, but am still eligible for the hair dye commercial auditions (My tresses are perfect for the before-after ads). After several decades of carefully withholding classified information from my folks and perfecting the art, I am sharing all the know-how(FREE FREE FREE) to  all the lov-hley peepals who read this blog . Yes,I am nice like that vonly. 

Rule no1 :  NEVER ever disclose the price of anything you shop for. Even if you earn  your own manicure-pedicure money. As a thumb rule, always tell them only 1/4 th of the price of the thing. Most parents don't get the idea of inflation.Actually this rule works extremely well husbands also.  Extra points if you hide/tear the bill in question,because you can then fib to your heart's content . My dad still thinks that a plate of idly costs 3 bucks. Everytime I tell him it doesn't, he almost convinces me that the restaurant fellows are capitalist pigs and that I over paid . No, actually most restaurant fellows are capitalist pigs, considering how they sell a fifteen-rupee MRP mineral water for forty bucks. Twenty bucks for letting the water experience the privilege of  sitting in their expensive fridge,huh? 

It is a different issue that when someone told me that their Diwali "new" dress cost 2000 bucks, I almost fainted. "Back in my days...",I started. Yes...definite signs of aunty-hood. Guilty as charged.


Rule no2: NEVER NEVER ever tell your mother about your haircut, especially if you've shed more than 1 inch .

My mother can smell the shortening of my hair  even in her sleep. She'll then go non-stop how I let my hair go to the dogs by abusing it as much as I can.She'll shed a few tears and call up my grandma and complain about how "Children these days don't listen to their mothers" perfectly ignoring the fact that I am an almost a senior citizen myself . Grandma will then ask me pointed questions about whether I use shikakai anymore and curse all the shampoo manufacturers in the world for corrupting her "little" grand-daughter. Oh, please hide the conditioner bottle while you are at it. The main cause of all horrible things happening in the world( like poverty, lack of world peace, global warming etc) is shampoo conditioner. Oh,you didn't know?

And any salon-related activity necessitating me spending more than ten bucks (eyebrow threading is ok, because that is within the budget) makes my mother hyperventilate. NEVER NEVER NEVER ever mention tattoos, pedicures,manicures,facials,spa treatmenst, belly-piercings etc because they are all EVIL(also causing poverty, lack of world peace, global warming etc). The only time mom really didn't have an issue with me doing something "unnatural" to my body was for my "getting-hitched" occasion. Too bad I can't get married every month because I want her to shed tears of happiness when I come home from the salon slightly presentable. Actually, that's an interesting thought , which if packaged well has immense potential :-)

Rule no3 : NEVER NEVER NEVER tell your mother (or woman above the age of fifty) that the dal  that you are serving her for lunch when she visits you is three days old.

Always bring out the dal container from the fridge before she comes home and place it on the gas stove (yeah , like you've just made it and  let it scream FRESH FRESH FRESH at her from all the new coriander leaves you've added just now). Because when you get married , you become a superwoman overnight (just like her) and are expected to  make fresh dal everyday and be of ultimate service to the husband and the man of the house.

Rule no 4: NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER let your mom inspect your clothes cupboard , pantry and contents of the fridge. 

Though I persevere and try to be as organized as possible , I never really am totally in the clear. If the bedroom cupboards are clean, the kitchen cupboards invariably are in a state of disarray that will make most people mildly giddy. And do hide those vodka bottles before she ferrets them out and looks at you like you are some raving alcoholic. It doesn't matter if you try to mumble something about the husband being the drunkard ,because to most mothers their son-in-laws are incorruptible , perfect and always correct. Yeah, life's like that only.

Rule no 5: NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER give your parents an indication that you do grown-up things. Like see naughty movies (mainly) where some amount of intimacy between the hero and heroine is warranted. Hand-holding is acceptable, smooching is Aiyoo, Chee thoo.

Because parents are used to seeing only flowers bumping into each other on screen when there is  development of any remotely objectionable form of affection between the pair (thanks to tamil movies- especially starring the pink-lipsticked Ramarajan). Always change the channel or say "Chee thoo.. the movies these days.What rubbish they show!" and you'll see them visibly relaxing. They'll also shed a few tears of joy that their child has not been corrupted by the vagaries of life. Please also hide any Silk Smitha/Lady Shakila cds that you have managed to hoard (even if it is for the sake of your overall education/development).

Okay, so hope you'll use my FREE FREE FREE tips and live happily ever after.

Tata .Bye-bye. Have a nice weekend.

15 comments:

nikhimenon said...

honestly,i read only yur rule number 5...

and i think what u said s true.....!
btw these days ,silk smitha cds are nt available anywhere....i wish i had one...!lol....

nikhimenon said...

the other 4 rules are nt applicable to me at all..!

Asha said...

LOL! good one. laced with humour.

Bikramjit said...

Yes will take you advice for sure as such I keep my mouth shut and mind my own business :)

Bikram's

A said...

Never ever parents read this post. But I can email them. So here is the deal you leave 10 comments on my post then I will not else...

Spaceman Spiff said...

I chopped off my previously bra-hook-length-hair a month ago,and now it is just below my ears...and I'm yet to tell my mom. I figured, what she doesn't know won't hurt her, :P I'm hoping by the time I go home in december, it would've grown, and no one needs to know anything.

Amma still gets a shock when I tell her the cost of the lingerie I buy. :/ But I don't blame her. I myself get shocked most of the times!

Smitha said...

lol! That is a hilarious list of secret things :)

My parents have got used to my hair levels over the years!

Suko said...

Many a truth is said in jest! Funny post!!

Your new blog design is wonderful!

Bhargavi said...

Nikhimemnon.. lol. seriously ? I dont know about other cities , bt you get them freely in Chennai :-)

Asha..Thanks

Bikram.. Arey ..which rule says "keep your mouth shut,people of the UK?"

A.. What naaansense, you are blackmailing me !:-)

Bhargavi said...

spiff.. aiyyyoooo!It wont hurt her now.. but "somebody gonna get (h)it real bad" once she finds out... ditto about the lingerie.. she can only stomach Naidu Hall price levels.

smita.. Sighs..Lucky you !


Suko..Suko.I am surprised you found them funny.Culturally, all this might be so different for you..Keen on knowing what moms are in your part of the world are like . You could do a post maybe on Ameeican moms..

Uma said...

Hi,
have been lurking since a couple of days..couldn't resist posting a comment on this one..
was lolling all the way and nodding too..(well, don't imagine the two together, I may seem like a crazy person.:-))

Bhargavi said...

Uma.. hey, thanks for de-lurking and commenting and lolling and nodding :-)Hope to see you here again.

Uma said...

following you now..:-)

blogsIread said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bhargavi said...

Thanks,Uma.