Sunday, March 25

Beanie's birth story..

It's a baby girl ! The chap and I welcomed our little girl on the 7th of this month. It was a normal delivery with an exceptionally short labour. Our lil beanie was born 4 days short of  40 weeks. I was having heavy braxton hicks contractions from week 37 , but there was no sign of any pains.I had just had a check-up on 6th and my obstrecian told me I would mostly deliver by 9th.On seventh morning , around 1:15 I woke up with mild discomfort and discharge. We thought it was some random discharge and decided to wait it out. Still no pains or contractions. Gradually more random discharge happened and around 1:30 it was clear that my water had indeed broken and that I was in labour. Still no pain or contractions. 

I reached the hospital and was strapped on to some monitors for a non-stress test. The labour ward , i must say is the most intimidating place i have ever encountered in my life! The woman on the bed next to me was groaning and screaming so much that I was actually psyched more out of her painful cries than my own impending condition. Still no pain, but painless contractions had started. And what started as a trickle became a gush by then. A duty doctor arrived and did an examination; I was already around  7cm dilated (but i didn't know that then !). It was around 2:45 then. Around 3-ish heavy contractions started and i was in unspeakable pain. Initially the breathing techniques I learnt were serving me well, but after a point the pain was so unbearable that I had to find some other way of keeping myself occupied.I clutched a switch board and pulled on it whenever a fresh wave of contractions hit me. I hope that switch board didn't fall off or something!

I have read so many birth stories where people knew how far apart their contractions were or what the time was , but in my case I was just oblivious to everything else as the pain was crippling. All i knew was that there was no respite and the contactions were coming barely thirty or so seconds apart.Also I had started feeling an intense urge to push. Till then i had no clue I was so far along in my labour. I just kept wondering why my contractions were coming so soon. Infact, I had just asked a nurse how far along I was  and she had told me, "You have a long way to go .People who came in yesterday are still in here."

 Around 4:30 my doctor arrived and examined me. She told me immediately that the baby was crowning and that within an hour she should be out. I was ecstatic when i heard that .They shifted me to another room and got me into the birthing position.What followed was the most difficult part of my labour experience. The pain was just not enough for me to push Beanie out.The doc then injected me with Oxytocin and soon the contactions were a lot stronger, but I still couldn't find the energy to push. Everyone around me chorused "Push, push "(actually "mukku, mukku" meaning push in Iamil), and if i hadn't been in pain i would have laughed at the situation.

An episotomy later, beanie came out at 5:41. I wasn't even aware that I had delivered her and asked my doc if i needed to push more. The doc laughed and told me that I had already delivered a baby. As i was being sutured, a nurse bought beanie in and showed her to me. I had always wondered what this moment would be like  and was surprised that I was stunned beyond words. The moment was simply too overwhelming for me to feel anything. So  there goes beanie's birth story. On the third day, beanie developed mild neo-natal jaundice and we had to stay over at the hospital for a few more days for her photo therapy. 

There's lots more to tell , but beanie's waking up now and I have to rush .. Will drop by your blog soon... 

21 comments:

Asha said...

Congrats, Even my son developed this juvenile jaundice and was on phototherapy. Take good care.

Sampige said...

Congratulations! And Welcome Dearest Little Bean! You will have a fabulous time in this world. Your Mom is the most fun sounding person. If you have her attitude to life, little one, you will go very far. All of us, your Mom's blog world friends send you their blessings and wishes. Hurray, and I shall raise a martini on your arrival. Hic and all that while Mum drinks garlic rasam ;).

My3 attai!

Chatterbox said...

Heartiest congratulations Bhargavi on the arrival of the little princess :)
Hope you both are doing well...loads of love to both of you.

Satish Bhat said...

Thrilled beyond words to read this Becky !

Been a long time since I came sniffing around to your blog. And then such a treat to read !

God bless Beanie and her soon to turn nocturnal parents!

Vaish said...

Aww! Congratulations to the new mommy and the cute Beannie! Will wait for more stories about the angel!

Meera Ganesh said...

Congratulations, congratulations.... I am so glad you have a girl. Enna per vekka pore? Now will this turn into a mommy blog? I'd love to hear Beanie stories and I want pictures, lots and lots of them.

Take care, hugs to you and Beanie.

Lakshmi said...

Hearty Congratulations.

Smita said...

Congrats :)

It is truly an ail biting experience no? But the feeling that comes later is not comparable to anything in this world.

BTW How are u fairing with feeding & all? All going ok? I remember my days, so much I had to learn!!!

Take care & loads of love to Beanie :)

Bhargavi said...

Asha ..Apparently 70% of babies develop it , but it was just so difficult to see the lil one in a machine soon after it was born.

My3.. **hics on garlic rasam and pouts**!one more year to get to the martinis of the world..Thanks for the sweet wishes.. Its so good to be back here !

Chatterbox..Welcome here ! Thanks so much for your lovely wishes.We are doing great !

Butti!!!! dey, how come you know my blog address????? Super sleuth !!!oh, the sleepless nights have already begun !

Vaish..Thanks dear. I have loads of beanie stories to tell ;-)

Meera .. Thanks..Beanie had her naming ceremony a week back . Will mail you regd the name.

Lakshmi..:-)

Smita.. I am struggling yaar ! Infact , beanie's latching problem will make for another post..I never knew that getting the lil one to feed was so difficult.. even more than the sleepless nights !

Punvati said...

Congrats! :D

Spaceman Spiff said...

Congrats, brand new mommy. :) Beanie is a celebrity already. She's being written about! :)

Ava Suri said...

Many congratulations. You are lucky not to have had a protracted labor. Looking at your child for the first is something else. I dont think I will ever forgot how my girl looked then. It was the most magical moment of my life. I am sure your's was too.
God Bless.

Bikramjit said...

heartiest congratulationssssssss and celebrationsssssssss party time

welcome to this world little Beanie...

Bikram's

aditi said...

hey bhargavi. congrats ya..so cute.. baby girl:)take care of yourself and the baby.. nice to read about the cute little girl..

DI said...

Congrats once again! This time on the blog :)
It is indeed overwhelming, the whole experience, do keep us updated with more stories! Love to Beanie baby!

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Warmest Congratulations to the whole family, such lovely news.

AJai said...

that was one crazy read. i haven't been through a labour post before. :-).

congrats by the way! all the best to the 3 of you! have a blast! :-)

Uma said...

Congrats, once again Bhargavi!
Your birth story is pretty similar to mine, if you remember :-)
very happy for you..loved the nick name too :-)

Nautankey said...

AWESOME...congrats to you both..

Arch said...

Heyyy..its been long I dropped by! Congratulations, and lots of good health to you and Beanie baby!

Couldn't help writing this, but bet ya, I would have laughed loud if someone kept saying mukku mukku loudly too :P Sorry,okay!

kala said...

Congratulationssss n celebrationssss will be waiting for more little cute storiessss