Thursday, January 30

"Expected a little more fire in the book!" says Sarada Sukhavanan


Technically , the first I-didn't-like-the-book review is up on Goodreads.  The barometer was that it would have to be from someone I didn't know personally and it wouldn't talk about a single redeeming feature of the book.  People who know you are never 100% honest when it comes to such endeavours, and often end up saying luke-warmy-I-loved-it  thingees ( which btw are fun to read on a day when you are feeling like the world is out to get you ).
Strangely, I didn't feel like I was the worst writer on earth when I read the review - just disappointed that someone had been disappointed after parting with hard-earned cash. I just left a message saying I would do better in the next book. Infact , I am motivated to do better in the next book :) I know we can't please everyone and that reviews are never to be taken too seriously , but I want to take this seriously because I really want to be a better writer- both for my sake as well as my reader's.

Anyway,here's the review( and several others that have come in since the last time I posted)..

"It is still a mystery if Anu found her way to do what she loved to, was becoming an entrepreneur her discovery into life or her passion for books? The book started off with a storyline where in Anu would find her inner calling or what she is passionate about doing, but I felt the end was not powerful enough or resonate what she actually wanted to do. Expected a little more fire in the book !." 

Review by Sarada Sukhavanan on Goodreads 
Rating : 3/5 
****

"An easily flowing narrative of Sri Anu Prabha, a Chennai-based married girl who is uncertain about what she is doing with her life and decides to do something about it and finally does it. 

After Indian writing in English came of age a few years back, South Indian writing in English is coming to the fore with the works of authors like Bhargavi. It is certainly interesting to read works with familiar locales, regional sentiments and local slang.

A very insightful book in which the protagonist expresses herself very honestly. I could relate very well with Anu and her experiences. 

Sometimes humorous, sometimes serious and sometimes very deeply philosophical, the book makes me want to read more of the author.

Waiting for more..." 

Review by Menaka Sankaralingam on Goodreads 
Rating : 4/5 

***
The book has been written in first person and that makes it all the more relatable. I loved the gift voucher she receives from her husband, actually a very novel idea. Her checklist for a Tam-Brahm wedding was very fascinating and important.
The only negative I felt was use of abbreviations, some understandable and some not.
If you want to enjoy and laugh on a leisurely weekend, this is the book for you.
Review by Arti of Metro Reader. Read the entire review here 

http://metroreader.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/the-crossover-year-by-bhargavi-balachandran/ 

and on Goodreads. 

Rating : 4/5 







No comments: