Sunday, April 19

Book 2 Bookathon ; My Mother's Sari by Sandhya Rao and Nina Sabnani


So I thought I would regularly blog for the next fifty days , but couldn't! When school's out , it is practically impossible to find time to pen thoughts down. So I am going to try to be as regular as possible. We've read more than a book a day , but none of them stood out and spoke to us :). Which is why I have decided to only chronicle the books that we enjoyed, and not everything that we picked up.  
 
Today's pick is a lovely book that is also one of my daughter's favourite.


Book name : My mother's Sari
Writer and Illustrator : Sandhya Rao and Nina Sabnani
Appropriate for age : 2+



What the book is about :

One long stretch of cloth is what Mother always wears--"elegant yet so graceful. The mystery of the sari can be magic for a child, winding and weaving, just like the connection between a child and its mother. The style, the motifs, the interplay of children, colors, and textures, create the rich, mood-filled, and dreamy world of

Our thoughts 
This is one of the earliest books that Beanie started liking. The book starts with pictures of a lil girl  telling us how a saree is wrapped.  The sentences are simple and short. Perfect for young readers starting out or also for read aloud with your babies. For the longest time , Beanie couldn't relate to the fact that moms wore sarees and  thought that  the book was talking about her grand mom's saree. Now, she is big enough to understand that mom could wear a saree if she wanted to :) The story line is pretty simple- a child pictures a saree imaginatively as a lot of things - like a sling , slide, a river and many more.  The child in the illustrations is cute and looks impish , but I am not a great fan of the artwork as it seemed a little too amateurish for me. No complaints from Beanie.
The best part of the book for me was the different ways that a saree can be used.  Another important aspect is the 'Indian-ness' of the book. Tulika and Karadi are doing a fab job by coming up with books that are extremely Indian in their content.  It does help that it is a hard bound book , as toddlers have a way of putting a book through a lot of wear and tear :)  
Verdict 
Bedazzled : "Sweet lil' book that reminded me of my mother's saree :)" 
Beanie : "I want to wear a saree, ma!"