Wednesday, April 15

Handa's surprise by Eileen Browne



The fifty-days Bookathon project.

 We ( Beanie , the daughter and I )are planning to read a book a day and blog about it for the next fifty days. Beanie  is three and can't read yet , so I read to her. But I suspect she can identify clusters of words that she keeps seeing regularly. I thought I would be a Momazilla, but I have discovered that I not too demanding  . I just want her to learn at her pace. But increasingly I find that I need to do more research to keep her engaged as she is an extremely inquisitive kid . Hence this project.  This  book is an old favorite, but  I thought  that it would be the perfect book to  blog about and review this old 'khandar':) .  I will also be posting all the crafty stuff Beanie and I are going to indulge ourselves in as  a way to chronicle her milestones. Beanie  is a total DIY mini crafter and loves  activities that involve pasting and  cutting. And I am one happy mommy :)

Here is an attempt to document all the books that the daughter, Beanie and I enjoy reading together.

Book name : Handa's surprise

Author : Eileen Browne

Book source : owned


Synopsis

Handa puts seven delicious fruits in a basket to take to her friend, Akeyo. But as she walks, carrying the basket on her head, various creatures steal her fruits. A monkey takes the banana, an ostrich the guava, a zebra the orange, an elephant the mango, a giraffe the pineapple, an antelope the avocado and a parrot the passion fruit. Handa walks on, wondering which of the fruits her friend will like best, oblivious to the fact that her basket is now empty. But then, behind her, a goat charges into a tangerine tree and fills Handa's basket with the fruit. "Hello, Akeyo," she greets her friend. "I've brought you a surprise." But when she lifts off her basket, it's Handa who gets the biggest surprise. Akeyo, meanwhile, is delighted, because tangerines are her favourite fruit! Eileen Browne also created "Through My Window" which was shortlisted for the Smarties Book Prize (1986), "No Problem", "Tick Tock" and "Where's my Bus?".


Our thoughts 

I loved the simple prose that went along with the vibrant and beautiful illustrations. Simply breathtaking brush strokes that brings the African Savanah alive! The surprise element at the end is rather cute too. Needless to say , Beanie loved this book to bits, as she does anything that has vibrant illustrations in it . The words are easy and the flow is amazing. Great way to introduce them to fruits and animal that are found in Africa.The story-line is engaging so that 3 year olds can easily follow it. There were a few fruits that Beanie didn't know from the list initially  (like the tangerine and avacado) , but now she knows the book almost by-heart.  I introduced her to this book almost a year back when she was more keen looking at the pictures and pointing at the animals. Now , she is  interested in 'what happens next' and the 'story element' .  There are lots of activities that can be planned around this book . 

Verdict : 

Bedazzled : 'What a bloody brilliant book!' 

Beanie : 'Amma, I love it!'

Perfect for : 3-4 year olds 

A soaring Hi-five :) 



1 comment:

The Visitor said...

I hope that I am not late to the party - I'll try to keep pace with you both. Good luck with the Bookathon!
PS: Don't worry about deadlines, just have a good time.