Thursday, May 7

Book 5 : Dora's Storytime collection



Book name : Dora's Storytime Collection

Synopsis (from Goodreads )

Dora and her best friend, Boots, go on more adventures than you can count. Now Dora fans can enjoy many of their favorite Dora stories all in one book! This best-selling collection includes:

Dora's Backpack
Little Star
Happy Birthday, Mami!
Meet Diego!
Dora Saves the Prince
Dora's Treasure Hunt
Good Night, Dora!
We we thought: 
Beanie is a big big fan of Dora. She loves watching the Dora shows on TV and I must admit that I have found them adorable at times as well. She started jumping around when she spotted this really worn and misused book at the library. Now who is to argue with a three-year-old with an iron will? 
I was pleasantly surprised at how engaging the book really was. All stories are constructed like tasks where Dora needs to follow three steps for getting a goal accomplished. I have seen this format on TV on another show - the Mickey Mouse Club , but  have never encountered it in a book. All stories were loads of fun and involved some form of counting. I am not sure this series will appeal to her six month down the line now that she can count upto thirteen. The best story was the one that had them counting in Spanish! With a little prodding , Beanie can count upto six in Spanish now . I learnt a lot of Spanish words - like Vamanos (that means let's go!).  I have realized that she has a flair for languages. We were at a restaurant eating, when she suddenly quipped ,"Excellente!" Both hubby and I couldn't stop laughing. Sometimes she says hola when she is meeting someone new.Thanks to Dora, she now acts like some precious little European princess and uses a lot of these words she learnt in her everyday conversations.  We have read the book three times in the last ten days That's how much she likes it ! 
 She keeps repeating the word 'Quatros' and breaks into peals of laughter every time I say it the way she wants me to. It was almost like a new 'Ickky word' that kids this age love laughing to (for the uninitiated the Ickky word is  stuff like burp or it's more offensive cousin ;)) By the way , this is more like the 20th book we've read for this challenge. Lots of books remain to be written about ! We picked up a few basic books from Pratham and LLLOOOOVVEED it . We also went second-hand book shopping and we(more like I) got overboard by picking up 30 odd books. There were a few copies of books on nursery rhymes and fables from the 70's in the bunch! Will share the pics some other time :) 
 I  know I am not a Parent-zilla , but sometimes I wonder if I am thrusting my unfulfilled ambitions on her. It's just that I realise that 90% of a child's potential is realised by the age of nine and I want to make sure that she is not lacking  in any opportunities.The thing with my generation was that we weren't exposed to so many things and didnt miss anything because we were just blissfully unaware. Playing outdoors sufficed.Things werent so cut-throat back then. Kids were still kids. Things are so much more different now. There is so much more pressure on these kids to 'learn stuff' and do well. I see so many career-mamas who are hell-bent on making sure that their child goes to every single class available on earth. Which is why the activity classes of the world are flourishing.  Poor things, these kids are! 
Anyway, back to the book. Overall a slightly formulaic volume, but extremely enjoyable for both the parent and the child. Great for early learners who are just mastering counting skills.  
Verdict : 
Bedazzled: "Vamanos!" 
Beanie : Can we read it again , Amma? 

No comments: